Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Dog Life

Every species, human and subhuman, has some distinguishing mark, of that you can tell a man from a best and a dog from a cow.

Living in a family that talks more about dogs and to the dogs than they do it among themselves, I changed myself when I couldn't understand or make them understand or even feel about my fears and inhibitions about being left out of the world I wanted to talk, share and cry. And so, life couldn't be more blissful to me as it gave me the strongest opportunity I could ever get, to live a pet dog life, from a street dog one I had been living almost my entire life.

Chuck came to us as the Aroras, i.e. Mona Maasi and family trusted us to be the perfect guardian for their 2 and half month old Shih Tzu while they are on their one month long vacation to Canada and US. From watching Chuck literally shed tears upon being separated from his 'family' to him being seemingly silent and a little depressed because of a change in lifestyle, it's heartbreaking to even think his dog life. All this within a mere 24 hours of him with us and there is one month yet to go. But, that's just about him. There is more.

Never compare your children with others, for each are meant to life their own unique life.

Children are very fickle and sensitive. The life we lived as one is so different from the life children are living in present day. The competition is huge and counsellors and psychiatrists world over warn parents and teachers of staying away from comparison and letting every child find his/ her strength. I have felt that my parents were so occupied building a secure financial future for me that they really missed giving me an emotionally secure present in my childhood. I don't regret it anymore or blame them, because none of us knew what the future will be shaping up because of this. I have accepted the past because present is still in my hand to shape.

I am seeing mom treating Chuck in the most robust, and somehow unhealthy manner, comparing him to the street dogs, and refuting to give him the lifestyle he got at Mona Maasi's place. From getting rebuked, both me and Bhabhi, on being too kind to Chuck, to getting to listen her words, "I will make you human", it's frightening for me. Her words shocked me, especially after constantly getting the words, "At least the street dogs are better than humans". Its confusing, who she prefers more - Dog or Humans.

To think that the most developed specie in the world, the humans, can be so sensitive in emotions, despite having the ability to share and talk, how does a dog feel, for whom, at the end of the day, its all about the hands that feed him.

Chuck is adjusting, but I do hope its all for good. Somehow, I really want this one month to finish off and Chuck go to his home as he is destined to be, at Mona Maasi's home, and may he never get to come over at our place like this.

If this is the dog life, I am happy to be a human.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mohabbatein Lessons, 20 Years On!

Mar Bhi Jayein Pyar Walein.. Mitt Bhi Jayein Yaar Walein.. Zinda Rehti Hai Unki Mohabbatein.. In year 2000, filmmaker and scion ...